Newton Abbot Town Council News
Newton Abbot Carnival - the end of a great week!
This year’s Newton Abbot Town Carnival has now ended and due to the great support received it enabled the carnival to have a very successful and entertaining week. Running on a tight budget the carnival managed to stage a varied assortment of events to suit all ages and interests ranging from the Spectacle of the Crowning of the Carnival Queen and the Carnival Procession to the energy of the Fun Run and the traditional Bingo night.
Also, from the performances of the Carnival afternoon entertainers and Band Concert from Carnival Praise, to the elegance of the Tea Dancers. For the third year running the popular wheelbarrow was back! Please CLICK HERE for entries and results.
The Carnival Committee strive to improve the week and all events making each more enjoyable to attend. Help and positive ideas are always welcomed as we aim to keep Newton Abbot entertained to the best of our ability.
A Bucket collection of approx. £800 and other donations on the day made carnival day a success. With the Duck Race being our main Fundraising event, we hope to be able to donate a generous amount to our charity for the year which is ‘Newton Abbot’s Community landing sites, Devon Air Ambulance’
Full details will be made apparent later in the year at our presentation evening. Other Charities were able to benefit with stall collections of their own at Courtenay Park on carnival day but they do need the public to help them on that day by coming along, they will also be entertained by many talented performers at the same time. Plus to those who turned up to watch the procession, we thank you.
Thanks to all who helped, supported, entertained, volunteered, organised, sponsored and contributed each day. It is difficult to maintain the carnival financially and otherwise but we have succeeded for another year.
A special thank you from the organisers to the following sponsors of the carnival:
• Redrow Homes
• Rotary Club of Newton Abbot
• Danceworks Devon
• Recreational Trust
• Andrew Hill
• Teignbridge Propellers
• Newton Abbot Town Council
• Panache Bars & Events
• Harrier LLC
• Best Accountancy Services
• Prestige Supercar
• Ashfords Fruit & Veg
Many of the carnival raffles would not have happened without the help from local businesses in the area who supported the carnival by donating raffle prizes, so thank you.
It was thoroughly enjoyed by all and we hope to have another successful carnival in 2020.
Winners of the carnival procession on Saturday 13th July are as follows:
• Visiting Carnival Royalty – Ashburton Carnival ‘Lion Queen’
• Best Carnival Queen – Ashburton Carnival ‘Lion Queen’
• Best Carnival Attendants – Ashburton Carnival
• Float Spectacular – South Brent Carnival
• Motorised Wheeled entry – Sunshine Stars CC
• Business & Charity – Bare Feet Play Centre
• Adult Group Entry – Meadowside Charity
• Children Group (under 16) – Newton Abbot Rugby Club
• Troop of Majorettes – Tavistock Twirlers
• Community Group – Safebreaks ‘Celebration of Individuality’
• Fancy Dress (Adult / Family) – Peter Pan
• Fancy Dress (Child) – Dominic Davey ‘Bumblebee Transformer’
• Best Wheeled Entry – Bubbles CC ‘Wind in the Willows, the open road!’
• Mayor’s Award – The Greatest Showgirls
The winner numbers were 702, 194, 1322, 431, 625 & 714. Cash prizes were presented to all winners on the Carnival Day.